Home maintenance encompasses the maintenance tasks that need to be regularly carried out to ensure that the home is clean, well-organised and in optimum condition.
Read on for more information about home maintenance:
Benefits of Home Maintenance
- In today’s society, we are increasingly time poor from trying to fit in the obligations of work, family and a social life in days that often seem too short. A home maintenance professional, whether in the home itself or in the garden, means that those time consuming “must do” jobs are completed for you, leaving you more time for the better things in life.
- The professional will also complete the job to the highest of standards, meaning that you can be confident that your home is safe, clean, and looks as good as it possibly can. This is ideal whether you are simply living in it yourself or are preparing your home for re-sale.
- Carpet cleaning should be carried out on a regular basis to ensure that carpets are kept in top condition. The cleaning process removes dirt, dust, stains, oils and bugs. There are different types of cleaning methods and the professional will choose the one that is most suitable for your particular type of carpet.
- Upholstery repairs and cleaning should also be carried out regularly. This will see your furniture having a much longer life span. Upholstery cleaners may also clean your curtains as well.
- House cleaning services are often used domestically but they can also be used for tenancy inspections, to clean up after a renovation or simply when a more thorough clean is required. They will also clean sills, tracks and flyscreens ifnecessary. Commercial cleaning refers to the cleaning of offices and commercial premises.
- Floor sanding and floor coatings can enhance the look of your timber floors, as well as increasing their durability. A well-finished timber floor is stylish and complements any style of home. After the floor has been finished, it is a good idea to wear socks on the newly finished surface for at least 48 hours. This is because oils may come off your feet and ruin the flooring surface. Leaving at least three to four days after the final coat before moving furniture back into position will help to minimise the risk of damage to the floor. Be aware that the floor surface may take up to fourteen days to fully harden.
- Window cleaning is probably a task you put off most of the time, but having your windows cleaned brings about many benefits such as increased light into the home, reducing the need for artificial lighting. Not only that, but clean windows means you save energy as more solar heat is able to enter the home.
Home and Garden Maintenance Tasks
- Gardeners are able to complete almost any garden task, even if it is just a small job such as mowing the lawn. They also take care of tasks such as pruning, weeding, fertilising and mulching. The garden maintenance company is able to set up a regular maintenance program if required, which means that you get to enjoy your garden without the effort, or they can make casual visits as needed.
- Rubbish removal professionals are able to remove the waste that is generated by both home renovation projects and garden projects. They can handle tasks such as small excavations and demolitions, tree and stump removal, shed cleanouts and recycling. Many professionals will salvage as much of the waste as possible for recycling, with as little as possible entering landfill.
- Tree felling may need to occur when trees need to be removed from your property for some reason. These reasons include making space to carry out a landscape design plan, when the tree has died or is under irreparable stress, or if it is in an unsuitable location. Tree felling professionals offer an emergency service which is great if you have trees that have been downed by a storm. They also help you to deal with the local council, who often has strict rules about the removal of trees.
- Roof repairs may be needed for several reasons. The roof may be leaking and be more economical to replace rather than repair it. It may not be working correctly or does not look good. A roof that is in good condition not only adds to the aesthetic value of the home, but plays an important part in its structural soundness.
- Gutter cleaning is necessary in order to reduce the fire hazard in fire-prone areas. Cleaning your gutters also reduces areas for insects to breed in. Some gutter cleaners will also clean your ceiling cavity, reducing the risk of allergies caused by dust mites.
- Lawn mowing keeps your lawn looking well groomed and maintained. Either DIY or engage the services of a lawn moving service to help with garden maintenance, fertilising, slashing, pruning and trimming.
- Pool maintenance should be done throughout the year, whether or not the pool is being used. It's important to regularly clean the pool and filter, and ensure that the water balance in your pool is at the correct level. Sanitising your pool is also necessary to prevent it becoming a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Pressure cleaning is a great way to really rejuvenate the home and it is very environmentally friendly, as it uses a fraction of the water and chemicals of traditional cleaning methods. It removes mould, dirt and other contaminants and it can make surfaces look like new. Always call in a professional to carry out the cleaning as it’s possible to badly damage surfaces if it is done incorrectly.
- Asbestos removal is a very important task, as asbestos can pose a serious health risk. Only a professional should carry out asbestos removal. A professional can help dismantle and dispose of asbestos and frameworks such as sheds.
- Chimney sweepers can keep your chimney or flue maintained and free from blockages, to ensure you get more heat at a lower cost and lower risk to you and your family. As part of the maintenance program, a complete visual inspection should be performed, checking things such as its structural integrity, sizing, clearance, condition and compliance with local requirements.
Handyman and Window Repairs
- Handyman services can be of great value to the homeowner as they are capable of completing a wide range of maintenance tasks. They can carry out tasks such as painting, mowing, cleaning, repairs and installation of various things around the home such as door locks and fittings. Essentially, they can do the things around the home that you cannot do yourself but which you don’t need to hire a specialised professional for. However, you will always need an electrician or plumber to carry out electrical and plumbing work no matter how minor it is.
- Window repairs are necessary for broken glass or locks. Repairers can fit windows with unobtrusive locks, ensuring that a better level of security is obtained. As well repairing the actual window, professionals can replace broken glass, re-seal a window, relocate a window or even double glaze a window for better insulation. Relocating a window can provide you with better views, lighting and ventilation than you may have otherwise had before.
- Appliance repairs are needed when an appliance in your home breaks down or no longer works as it should. As well as repairs, professionals will regularly service your appliances to ensure that they run as safely and efficiently as possible.
You Might Also Be Interested In: