Storage Ideas for Your Home
Last Updated Dec 7, 2010 · Written by Craig Gibson
In many homes, it can seem like there’s never enough room to store all of your items. But there’s no need to put up with clutter. Check out our top 20 storage ideas to get your home looking organized.
- Getting bookshelves purposely built to sit along the length of an entire wall will give you plenty of room to store books and showcase ornaments.
- Build some window seats for extra storage space. By padding the lid, you’ll also create extra seating and you’ll have the perfect spot to curl up with a book.
- If you have a small wardrobe in your bedroom, consider building a low set of drawers across one wall. This can store clothing, bedding, or anything else you need and, with a few cushions on top, it will also double as a cosy seating spot.
- Fill any wasted space near the fridge with a built-in wine rack.
- Install hooks or a hanging rack at the front and back doors – these can hold coats, umbrellas, keys, or bags.
- Use the dead space underneath the hanging racks in your wardrobe. Install permanent or temporary drawers, trolleys, crates or boxes.
- Use the space underneath the bed to store items that can fit in plastic containers with wheels. These are ideal for storing out of season clothing or bedding.
- Free up floor space by mounting your television to the wall.
- A simple wooden ladder in the bathroom (bathroom) is an excellent way to gain more hanging space for towels.
- Fit a shelving system over the toilet to hold small items.
- Use a lazy susan in kitchen or bathroom cupboards to help you access items more easily.
- If you have a staircase, install shelves or cupboards underneath for instant extra storage room.
- Any items that you will not need to use for a while can be stored within your home’s roof space.
- Small boxes are useful for all kinds of odds and ends and can be placed anywhere.
- In the living areas, ottomans or footstools with storage space inside can be used to hold cushions and also brighten up the space.
- A display cabinet in the living room will provide the perfect way to show off your delicate ornaments.
- Use coffee tables that have storage space underneath to hold magazines or consider a funky magazine rack.
- There are many different types of CD/DVD holders available to hold and display your CD/DVD collection in style.
- Use mobile trolleys in the laundry, bathroom or kitchen. Their portability means that you can find what you need easily.
- Don’t be scared to use storage items that have different finishes – mix timber with steel or plastics for a fresh look.