Getting Quotes from Builders
Last Updated Oct 12, 2012 · Written by Kat Tate
Building a home can be an exciting, yet daunting, prospect. With so many builders
to choose from, how do you decide which is right for you? hipages makes it easy to find, compare and choose a builder, with this handy guide.
What Builder Do You Need?
Builders perform a variety of tasks including general building work, project management
, house extensions
and additions and commercial building
. Some also work on house and land packages.
Before searching for a builder, consider the tasks you'll need them to do. Will you be managing the project, or will the builder need to manage and coordinate the job? The work you need the builder to do will affect your project scope and budget.
Preparing Your Quote Request
We have compiled a few handy hints to help you post a job. The more information you include, the easier it will be for builders to provide an informative and useful quote. Here’s what to include:
- Your requirements for the build and the ‘look’ you want to achieve
- The role you want the builder to play - will they need to act as project manager?
- Your expected budget so the builder knows if it’s within their scope
- A timeframe, so the builder knows when the build needs to be finished
- A wishlist or image that explains your ideas and vision
- Architectural/building plans
- Building approvals (if you have it)
Finding a Builder
Finding a builder has never been simpler on hipages.com.au, with our free Get Quotes
service. Here’s how it works:
1. Fill in the form
to tell builders about your build
2. Builders in your area send you quotes
3. You choose the best quote
Comparing Builders’ Quotes
Once your job has been posted, you can start comparing each builder’s quote. Their quote should include:
- Their process or method for building your home
- Your job brief and requirements
- A quote for completing the build
- Details of their licences and qualifications
Here are a few other tips when comparing builder’s submissions:
- Check that the builder’s quote suits your budget
- Assess how the builder will work and their plans for completing the job
- You may need to amend your brief after meeting with the builder. They should discuss any changes with you and alter the quote to suit.
Ready to start searching for a builder? Simply visit our Get Quotes