Everything you need to know about finding a Home Security Business
Security is an essential component of the home and is vital for keeping your family and possessions safe and secure. Choosing the right home security measures can help deter would-be thieves or intruders. Read on for more information about home security:
©CDCardinal Security Systems
Types of Home Security
There are various security options available to protect your property, including:
- Security lighting: Not only can lighting welcome visitors to your home, it can also deter potential intruders. Security lights can be connected to the main electrical supply or operated via an extension cord (see security lighting). Think carefully before installing sensor lights in areas where there are pets, as they may set the lights off each time they move about.
- Intercom systems: These allow you to see and hear anyone who approaches your home or premises. Intercom systems consist of two panels - one inside and one outside - and may include other items such as cameras. With intercom systems, you will always know who is at the door, so you have control over who can enter, and warning of intruders. For more information see security - intercom systems.
- CCTV systems: CCTV allows you to monitor different areas of your home using cameras that feed into monitors. The system can either be used alone or as part of an alarm system. You can also record images for later viewing if needed. For more information see security - CCTV.
- Access control: This allows you to control who enters your property. It can be used in the home, but is particularly useful in commercial settings. Devices include access card readers, fingerprint locks and coded locks. See security - access control for more information.
- Security card access: This system ensures that only people possessing a security card can enter your building. For more information see security card access and our article about Using Security Card Access.
- Alarm systems: This is a very effective way to keep your property safe by alerting you to intruders. Various alarm systems are available including movement detectors, infrared detectors and glass break detectors. Consider choosing a system with 24 hour monitoring, to give you greater peace of mind. For more information about alarm system devices and solutions for your property, see security - alarm systems and security - 24 hour monitoring.
- Locks and peepholes: Consider engaging the services of a locksmith to install stronger locks on your doors and windows. Peepholes allow you to see the person at the door before you open it, and can help you assess a potential threat to your property. For more information about locks and peepholes see locksmiths.
- Security guards: Hiring a security guard is an ideal solution to protect your property and its patrons. Security guards keep watch for signs of criminal activity and undergo access control procedures, as well as signs of fire. Ensure the security guards you choose are licensed, qualified and registered (see security guards).
- Fences and gates: As an added security measure, ensure the gates and fences around your property are strong, tall and have no gaps for intruders to enter through. Gates should be fitted with a locking device. See fencing for more information.
- Security barriers: These are simply barriers that are fitted to doors and windows to make them less susceptible to intruders. They usually take the form of bars, screens or mesh. For more information refer to security screens & doors.
Home Security Professionals
To determine the best security system and components for your property, it is important to talk to a professional. They will be able to look around your home and assess its existing security levels, as well as identifying areas that need to be improved. They will also design a system that is tailor made for your property, as no two properties are the same. Professionals will also install every aspect of your home security, from locks to alarm systems and ensure that everything is working correctly.
How Much Does Home Security Cost?
Home security professional will be charging in the region of $40 to $80 per hour, depending on location and experience. A quote will reflect the time they expect to spend on your job, and this will obviously include the cost of the product if they are supplying it. The most common tasks will typically be the installation of security lighting, which will be relatively cheaper than a home alarm system job for example.