Everything you need to know about finding a Plumber
Plumbing is a vital part of any home and it’s important that it’s installed and maintained correctly to avoid problems down the track.
For the safety of homeowners all states and territories require all plumbing work to be carried out by a licensed contractor. Unlicensed plumbing work is illegal and may also be unsafe.
Here’s some more information about plumbers, why you might need a plumber
and plumbing options for your home:
Role of Plumbers
Plumbers carry out a variety of tasks, including detecting and repairing leaks in water and gas systems; replacing old plumbing; installing and repairing tapware; repairing burst water pipes, and installing water filters and anti-scaling devices.
Plumbers are needed in any renovation or installation of the bathroom, kitchen, laundry or other wet areas. Plumbers can also install gas systems, whether it’s for cooking or for your hot water system.
There is more to plumbing than just changing taps and washers.
Types of Plumbing
There are several types of plumbing that you might need to use, depending on the plumbing issue:
– this can involve installing new drains or fixing blocked drains. A plumber can also repair and maintain pipes and fittings associated with stormwater and waste removal. New drains are also a great solution when installed in the garden, to prevent puddles and plant death.
and Blocked Drains
- drain repairs are often needed due to blockages in drainpipes. Things like tree roots, discarded oils, fat, grease and other forms of litter are the primary cause of these blockages. The only way to permanently repair blocked drains is to completely replace old pipes with new ones, otherwise, your plumber may use a CCTV drain diagnostic camera to find the underlying cause.
- In urgent situations, such as burst pipes, you will need a plumber fast. An emergency plumber
is available all day to attend to plumbing that is no longer working.
#hiptip if you use gas in your home, you will need the services of a qualified gas fitter to ensure your gas system is in safe working orderGasfitters
– If you use gas in your home, you will need the services of a qualified gas fitter to ensure the gas is safe to use and doesn’t pose any danger. A gas fitter can install and service fixtures and appliances in residential, commercial and industrial areas. They can also install gas meters, regulators, valves and burners.
– this involves installing, repairing and maintaining pipes and fittings that are associated with the removal of sewage from the home (see also toilet installation
). A plumber will repair your toilet as quickly as possible, so that things can go back to normal.
- having the correct roof plumbing and guttering will ensure that water flows off your roof correctly, even during heavy rain. Guttering can be made from many different materials and can include half-round gutters, quad gutters, square fronted gutters and smoothline gutters.
- this is a type of plumbing that saves water around the home and reduces strain on the public water supply. It also saves money as the less water you use, the less you pay for! Green plumbing
services can include the installation and servicing of solar hot water plumbing
, rainwater tank installation
and grey water system plumbing
#hiptip get advice from a licensed plumber when renovating or building a new home; they will be able to advise on the best approach for your plumbing systemHome Renovation Plumbing
- if you are renovating or building a new home, taking the time to get the appropriate plumbing systems installed can save a lot of money and inconvenience in the future. A plumber will be able to advise on the best plumbing system and solutions for your project.
- a good plumber can undertake all the plumbing projects around your house and restore your systems to perfect working order. By regularly maintaining plumbing, you can reduce the likelihood of small problems turning serious.
Grease Trap Installation and Maintenance
- a plumber’s role is critical in the installation and maintenance of grease traps. Incorrect installations allows greasy wastewater to discharge to the sewer where it can cause blockages and chokes.
Backflow Plumbing Services
- backflow is the reversal of the normal direction of water flow in your water supply plumbing system. In order to reduce the risk of contamination, it is essential to install a backflow system and make sure your plumbing system is properly maintained.
– this refers to installing, repairing and maintaining pipes and fittings that transfer hot and cold water to the home. This includes plumbing installation
. Make sure your plumber is qualified and licensed to carry out water plumbing services.
#hiptip only a licensed plumber may carry out the installation of a new hot water unitHot Water System Installation
and Hot Water Unit Repairs
- a plumber may provide services to support hot water repairs, services, replacements and new installations of gas, electric and solar hot water systems. Always make sure your plumber is qualified and licensed to carry out the installation and repair of your hot water system.
Mechanical Services Plumbing
– if you have a heating or cooling system (such as air conditioning) in your home or commercial property, you may need assistance with installing, maintaining and repairing pipes and fittings associated with that system.
Choosing a Plumber
When choosing a plumber, be sure to get at least three quotes for your project. Ask to see the plumber's licence and qualifications and if it's a large project, ensure that the plumber has the correct insurances. Find out more about specific licensing requirements by state on Licensedtrades.com.au.
How Much Does a Plumber Cost?
So how much do plumbers actually cost
Like many other trades plumbers charge an hourly rate, which you can expect to be in the region of $90 to $130 per hour, depending on location and experience. Some plumbers may also charge an additional call out fee.
If they are installing or repairing an item then these will also incur a cost. A plumber may quote you a flat fee for a defined task, such as installing a toilet or unblocking a drain.