Everything you need to know about finding a Plumber
Plumbing is a vital part of any home and it is imperative that it is installed and maintained correctly in order to avoid future problems down the track.
For the safety of homeowners all states and territories require all plumbing work to be carried out by a licensed contractor. Unlicensed plumbing work is illegal and may also be unsafe.
Here’s some more information about plumbers and plumbing options for your home:
©Jet Force Plumbing Services
Role of Plumbers
Plumbers may carry out the following tasks:
- Detecting and repairing leaks in both water and gas systems
- Replacing old plumbing
- Installing and repairing tap ware
- Repairing burst water pipes
- Installing water filters and anti-scalding devices
Plumbers are necessary in any renovation or installation of the bathroom, kitchen, laundry or other wet areas. Plumbers can also install gas systems, whether it is for cooking or for your hot water system.
Types of Plumbing
There are several types of plumbing that you might need to use, depending on the plumbing issue:
- New Drains – this can involve installing new drains or fixing blocked drains. A plumber can also repair and maintain pipes and fittings associated with stormwater and waste removal (see also drain repairs and blocked drains). New drains are also a great solution when installed in the garden, to prevent puddles and plant death.
- Emergency Plumbers - In urgent situations, such as burst pipes, you will need to enlist the help of a reputable plumber. An emergency plumber is available at all hours of the day and night to attend to and repair plumbing that is no longer working.
- Gasfitters – If you use gas in your home, you will need the services of a qualified gas fitter to ensure the gas is safe to use and does not pose any danger. A gas fitter can install and service fixtures and appliances in residential, commercial and industrial areas. They can also install gas meters, regulators, valves and burners.
- Toilet Repairs – this involves installing, repairing and maintaining pipes and fittings that are associated with the removal of sewage from the home (see also toilet installation). A plumber will repair your toilet as quickly as possible, so that things can go back to normal.
- Guttering - having the correct roof plumbing and guttering will ensure that water flows off your roof correctly even during heavy rain. Guttering can be made from many different materials, including copper, PVC, zinc aluminium alloys, Zincalume and Colorbond steel. Types of gutters include half-round gutters, quad gutters, square fronted gutters and smoothline gutters.
- Green Plumbing - this is a type of plumbing that saves water around the home and reduces the strain on the public water supply. It also saves money as the less water you use, the less you pay for! Green plumbing services can include the installation and servicing of solar hot water plumbing, rainwater tank installation and grey water system plumbing. By taking a look at your existing plumbing and seeing where you can improve, you can help save water, money and the environment.
- Home Renovation Plumbing - if you are renovating or building a new home, taking the time to get the appropriate plumbing systems installed can save a lot of money and inconvenience in the future (also see new home plumbing). A plumber will be able to advise on the best plumbing system and solutions for your project.
- Plumbing Maintenance - a good plumber can undertake all the plumbing projects around your house and restore your systems to perfect working order (see also grease traps, backflow services). By regularly maintaining plumbing, you can reduce the likelihood of small problems turning serious.
- Water Plumbing – this refers to installing, repairing and maintaining pipes and fittings that transfer hot and cold water to the home (see also plumbing installation, hot water system installation, hot water unit repairs). Ensure your plumber is qualified and licensed to carry out water plumbing services.
- Mechanical Services Plumbing – if you have a heating or cooling system (such as air conditioning) in your home or commercial property, you may need assistance with installing, maintaining and repairing pipes and fittings associated with that system.
Choosing a Plumber
When choosing a plumber, be sure to get at least three quotes for your project. Ask to see the plumber's licence and qualifications and if it's a large project, ensure that the plumber has the correct insurances. Find out more about specific licensing requirements by state on Licensedtrades.com.au.
How Much Does a Plumber Cost?
Like many other trades plumbers charge an hourly rate, and sometimes a call out fee as well. Expect hourly rates in the region of $65 to $90 per hour, depending on location and experience. If they are installing or repairing an item then these will also incur a cost. A plumber may well quote you a flat fee for a defined task, such as installing a toilet or unblocking a drain.