Welcome to Canberra Gardens
Dinah Meagher holds a diploma in Landscape Architecture from Gloucestershire College of Art and Design. With her design flair and sound knowledge of horticulture, she has specialised in garden design for over 25 years. Her work in Canberra ranges from small courtyards to the empty canvas of a new residential block.
'I get my inspiration for design from both the site and the client, drawing from existing site conditions, plantings, architecture and the way in which a client wishes to use their garden.
'Every garden shares an ideal relationship with the house and endeavours to feel right in the context of where it is.
'My design philosophy is to inspire people to create a beautiful, relaxed and inviting garden, whether it be leafy or restrained. I encourage using plants which are edible, low maintenance and water saving and, where possible, the re-cycling of existing materials in a stylish and innovative way. I work to the client's budget and offer ways to keep costs to a minimum while maintaining a high standard of design'.
I offer all clients an initial 1-2 hour consultation in their garden. The purpose of this meeting is to establish a brief for design based on existing conditions and the desires of the client. I make suggestions and draw preliminary design ideas to confirm that we're heading in the right direction.
If you wish to proceed, I prepare a landscape plan, drawn to scale, showing the overall proposed design.
- existing features
- paving, paths, steps and walls<
- structures and decking
- water features, sculptures etc.
- and a preliminary cost estimate for installation.
Many of my clients ask me to prepare detailed design documents for construction purposes. These include a plan of the hardworks and planting.
I can recommend suitable landscape contractors, and oversee the construction of your new garden.
Diploma Landscape Architecture Gloucestershire College of Art and Design 1980
- Internal Courtyards, General Hospital, Weston-Super-Mare [while at Percy Thomas Partnership, Bristol]
- Pitt Street Mall, Yulara Tourist Resort and Street Closures, Woolloomooloo [while at Environmental Landscapes P/L, Sydney]
- Circular Quay West and Streetscape Improvements, Military Road, Mosman [while at Conybeare Morrison & Partners, Sydney]
- London Docklands Precincts:
- Brunel Slipway
- Maconochies Wharf [while at Livingston McIntosh Associates, London]
- Sunlight Wharf [while at Seifert Architects, London]
- UNSW campus redevelopment:
- Goldstein College Courtyard
- John Lyons Courtyard
- Engineering Road
- Private gardens in UK, Sydney, Southern Highlands, Canberra