When Would I Need a Carpenter?
Last Updated Feb 19, 2013 · Written by Jaclyn Fitzgerald
A carpenter is one of the most well known types of tradespeople and they are often needed to complete everything from the smallest to the largest of jobs in the home. If you’re not sure if a carpenter is needed for your specific situation, we’ve outlined the types of carpenters and the work that they do so that you can see if one is warranted. Read on for more.
Types of Carpenters
While all carpenters work with wood, you may be surprised to know that there are actually different types of carpenters that specialise in different areas. The two main types of carpenters are:
- Rough Carpenters - basically speaking, a rough carpenter is one that is mainly concerned with structural work. That is, they can build formwork, scaffolding, and bracing; they can construct floors, building frames, and partitions; they can construct support structures; and they can assemble wood and metal structures. Rough carpenters also do things such as cut wood, and decipher and understand construction blueprints and plans.
- Finish Carpenters – essentially, finish carpenters do all those jobs that affect the look of a finished structure. This can include things such as decking, roofing, interior trims, intricate woodwork, cladding/sidings, and so on.
There are also two other types of carpenters that can be involved in the home:
- Trim Carpenters – these types of carpenters are the ones that do tasks such as building and installing ceiling trims, mouldings, architraves, and windows.
- Cabinet Makers/Joiners – this is a specialised branch of carpentry that works on making cabinetry for the home (such as in the kitchen or bathroom). They can also make home furniture or do other intricate woodworking jobs.
Knowing When You Need a Carpenter
You may be surprised at just how much a carpenter can do in your home. You might require one for a task as simple as fixing a broken chair or wooden framed lounge, or you might require one to build an extension on your home for you. Carpenters can do the following tasks amongst many others:
- Building staircases
- Framing walls
- Installing doors and windows
- Building and installing cabinetry
- Building custom pieces of furniture
- Repairing damage to wooden structures
- Building pergolas, gazebos or other outdoor structures
- Building decks or pool surrounds
- Installing mouldings and trim
- Installing framing for the home (walls, ceilings, roof, and floors)
- Measuring and cutting wood for projects as required
- Reading and interpreting blueprints
- Installing timber cladding
- Erecting scaffolding
- Building fences
- Building formwork
- Laying timber floors