If you love the look of a crackling fire but you don’t want to deal with the hassle and pollution of a traditional fireplace, the perfect solution for you is an ethanol fireplace! Not sure what this is? We’ve outlined what you need to know here. For more info, or to choose an ethanol fireplace that suits your home, speak with your local fireplace supplier
About Ethanol Fireplaces
An ethanol fireplace is one that runs using denatured ethanol as the fuel source. They are also known as bio ethanol fireplaces. The denatured ethanol comes from agricultural and forestry sources that are completely renewable. These fireplaces are an excellent choice for inside or outside the home as they don’t require venting – the only by products that they produce are steam, heat, water, and carbon dioxide (the equivalent of burning two candles).
Advantages of Ethanol Fireplaces
Ethanol fireplaces are becoming one of the most popular choices, especially for inside the home, as you don’t have to worry about installing a chimney or a flue, like you would with a traditional or gas powered fireplace. You can simply place them on a table or floor, in an existing fireplace, or even mount them on the wall. Ethanol fireplaces are also incredibly attractive, not only because of the beautiful, realistic flame that they produce but also because of the fact that they come in so many different designs. Generally speaking they are made from glass and steel, which looks fantastic and can be used in so many ways.
Ethanol fireplaces are also great for people that love the look of a fireplace but prefer a more environmentally friendly, healthy alternative. No harmful fumes or gasses are produced by burning the ethanol, as the ethanol burns so cleanly and completely. As well, the ethanol comes from completely renewable sources such as maize, so there is no harm to the environment.
Options in Ethanol Fireplaces
As stated previously, you really do have a range of options when it comes to ethanol fireplaces. Ethanol fireplaces can be:
- Table top – small and mobile, these fireplaces can be moved to wherever you are at the time. Use them on your coffee table, as a dining table centrepiece, and more.
- Fireplace units – these are designed to fit inside your existing fireplace, giving you the look of a traditional fireplace without any of the hassle.
- Corner units – these are placed or mounted in the corner of the room and you get the effect of “floating fire”.
- Pillar flame units – these ethanol fireplaces generate fire from a pedestal base, giving the look of fire floating in the middle of a room.
- Floor units – these are essentially attractive freestanding ethanol fireplaces.
- Wall units – these are fireplaces that are very slimline and designed specifically for mounting on the wall.
- Box units – this is a fireplace that is surrounded by glass on all sides and these create a unique, stunning look.