Are you one of those people that, when you think of shag rugs, think of garish 70s decor, ala Austin Powers? While the shag rug is one of the things that are automatically associated with the 70s, they are coming back into vogue big time. In fact, they’re one of the biggest rug trends right now! Here’s what you need to know. To find out more or to buy one for your home, visit your local rug supplier
What is a Shag Rug?
The shag rug or shag pile rug is incredibly distinctive thanks to its shaggy, fuzzy appearance. It’s a very unique rug that gets its look thanks to medium or long strands or a mix of both that is attached to a strong backing. The strands are different thicknesses and this gives the rug its trademark shaggy look. Shag rugs can be made from many different materials including cotton, wool, linen, nylon and polypropylene. They’re also available in a huge range of colours from the standard whites and neutrals through to bright, bold colours and even black.
Advantages of Shag Rugs
Shag rugs have a lot of advantages that see them becoming ever more popular in today’s decorating climate:
- They’re comfortable to sit and relax on
- They don’t tend to show dust, fluff or dirt as much as other rugs can
- They feel great underfoot
- They bring softness to what can otherwise be a quite stark or minimalistic room
- They are perfect for bedrooms or living areas
- They work equally well in contemporary, retro, classic or romantic decors
- They are available in all price points to suit all budgets
- They are available in a huge range of shapes and sizes
Caring for Shag Rugs
While shag rugs are great for not showing dirt and the like, you do need to give them some care. Vacuuming can remove the surface dirt and dust but a couple of times a year, you will need to take them outside and beat them with a broom or similar to remove the stuff that’s gotten deep down into the fibres.