Hiring a home improvement professional is an important, if not the most important, aspect of undertaking a project around the home. There are many factors to consider, such as qualifications, experience, reputation and your confidence in their abilities.
What to Consider When Choosing a Tradesperson
When making the decision to hire a professional, it is important to consider each of the following points:
- When selecting a home improvement professional, familiarise yourself with their qualifications. A good professional will be qualified in their field and have valuable experience. The person you choose should also have references.
- Ensure that your chosen professional has the correct insurance and is properly licensed. Trade licensing is designed to protect you from unqualified contractors and insurance will protect you should anything go wrong with your home improvement. Ask to see their insurance certificates and ensure that they remain current for the duration of the project.
- Reputation is an important thing to consider when hiring a home improvement professional. Ask for references and try to speak to referees yourself where possible. Your professional should also have a good working relationship with your local council. Also check with the Department of Fair Trading to ensure that no complaints have been lodged against your chosen professional.
- “Shop around”. Take the time to obtain more than one quote. Speak to your professional so you are able to familiarise yourself with them, and also find out if they are capable of giving you the results that you want with your home improvements. It’s important that your professional is able to follow your design brief and that you are confident in their abilities.
- Always sign a contract with your home improvement professional. This ensures that the costs and terms of the project are agreed upon before the commencement of the project and thus cannot be changed without the agreement of both parties.