If you are thinking about buying a new property, an essential part of the process is to get a building inspection, as this gives you a clear, unbiased look at the condition of the property – good or bad. But how do you choose a building inspection company? We’ve put together this guide to get you started.
What Services Does the Building Inspection Company Provide?
A vital thing that you need to look at when choosing a building inspection company is what services they provide. All building inspectors should take a thorough look at the inside and outside of the home including the roof space, under floor space, garages, sheds, and fencing to see what the condition the property is in. They should be looking for any problems that may have occurred such as cracking in the walls, a leaking roof, rising damp or damp problems, asbestos, waterproofing, structurally unsound areas and so forth. Any problems should be clearly outlined on the report that they provide in clear, easy to understand language. Most building inspectors will look at a standard range of things but you can ask your building inspection company to look for specific things if there is something in particular that you are worried about. This may incur an extra charge, however.
Within a couple of days of the inspection being carried out, you should receive a thorough report. As stated, the report should be easy to understand but the inspector should be happy to explain any areas that you are unclear on. Most reports will not include estimates of the costs to fix any problems found but you can specify that your building inspection company provide this at an extra cost to you.
Questions to Ask a Building Inspection Company
Before you hire your building inspection company, there are some questions that you should ask of them. These include:
- What are your charges and what do you include as part of your standard quote?
- What qualifications do you hold?
- How long have you been working as a building inspector/been in the building inspection industry?
- Do you comply with the relevant Australian Standards regarding building inspections?
- What equipment do you use when carrying out your inspection? (E.g. moisture meters, digital cameras, infrared cameras, electrical testers, etc)
- What do you include in your report and how detailed is the report?
- Do you have a sample report that I can look at?
- How long will I have to wait before I receive the written report?
- Will I receive a verbal report on the day?
- Do you have professional indemnity insurance?