The kitchen is arguably the most important room in the home, serving not only as a place where you store food and do your cooking, but as a family gathering place and even as the place where you and your family and friends sit down for a light meal or cup of coffee. If your kitchen looks tired and worn, it makes the atmosphere of the home feel tired and worn as well. Fortunately, you can breathe new life into your kitchen without breaking the bank. This guide to budget kitchen renovations
will show you how.
Replace or Reface?
If your budget allows, you can rip out your entire kitchen and replace it. This can be surprisingly inexpensive. Starting from the floor, these are some budget kitchen renovation ideas to start with:
- Vinyl Flooring is the cheapest kitchen floor material you can buy and is also one of the best. Vinyl is stain and scratch resistant and is softer and more slip resistant than stone or ceramic tiles, making it safer.
- Flat pack kitchens are kitchen cabinets that you or a local cabinet maker can put together using simple tools and quickly install yourself. They are cheaper than custom built cabinets and in many cases just as well built.
- Plastic laminate kitchen benchtops are the most popular on the market and also the cheapest. These are tricky to install, so it is a job best left up to the experts, but if your cabinets are correctly installed, the installers can be in and out of the house in no time.
- When you paint your kitchen, talk to your local paint supplier first and get the right paint for kitchens and other wet areas.
- The right lighting will make a world of difference to your budget kitchen renovation. Talk to a local lighting supplier about energy saving lighting options that may actually pay for themselves in reduced energy consumption over time.
Think about kitchen refacing
instead an entire kitchen replacement. If the interiors of your kitchen cabinets are in good nick, replacing them would be a waste of money when you can simply have their door and drawer fronts replaced. If you decide to do this, you can change your colour scheme without going to too much expense by painting your splashback tiles or using one of the fabulous new acrylic splashbacks
that can be installed over your existing ones.
These are just some budget kitchen renovation ideas to help you think outside of the box and come up with creative ways to make your kitchen sparkle again. For more ideas, check out check out our resurfacing articles and videos for some more great budget kitchen renovation ideas. You'll be amazed to discover that you can make your old ceramic sink, for example, look like new again simply by having it resurfaced.