It can be tempting to take out a home improvement loan and give your home a major makeover, but do you really want to do that? There are plenty of budget-friendly ways to spruce up your home and when you're done, you'll be able to relax and enjoy them rather than stress about paying off your loan. Here are just 5 ideas to help you get started:
- Buy some outdoor furniture: Do you opt for eating your BBQs indoors instead of out because those backless budget benches you bought are uncomfortable and feel dangerously wobbly? Do you want to put your feet up and relax with a book, but don't have a comfortable outdoor lounge? You'll be amazed by how much more time you'll spend in your patio if you have comfortable outdoor furniture to sit in.
- Build a retaining wall: Do you always have to defend your flower beds against your dog (or your neighbour's)? Do you find yourself constantly hosing off your driveway or footpath because of soil run-off? Do you want to drastically improve the appearance of your yard without spending a fortune? There are dozens of good reasons to build a retaining wall and no good reasons not to.
- Hire a handyman: If you're like most of us, you have a thousand (give or take) niggling little jobs to do around the house that you don't do because you either don't have the right tools or the right skills. A handyman can come in and fix your leaky faucet; rehang or repair that sagging door; replace those burnt out bulbs you need a tall ladder to get to; or any number of other small jobs. Wouldn't you rather enjoy your home to the fullest rather than put up with those "little things" that can be so annoying?
- Make a feature wall: If you're looking for a way to make an ordinary room look extraordinary, just pick the blandest wall and turn it into a feature wall. A feature wall is one that stands in contrast to the other walls in a room yet enhances the appearance of the entire room at the same time. You can make a feature wall by simply painting it a different colour, you can wallpaper it or even give it a timber and/or stone veneer façade. The possibilities are endless and a feature wall can be the cheapest way to radically renovate a room.
- Garden ornaments and garden statues are a great way to add character to your garden on a budget. If you're thinking a cherub or other traditional ornament isn't for you, go down to your local nursery and have a look around anyway. You'll be amazed by the variety of ornaments and statues that are available today. Turn your uninspiring garden into a stylish and tranquil Zen garden or light up your path with LED illuminated ornamental lanterns. Whatever your personal style may be, you can find something that will suit you to a tee.
If you've read this far, you must be looking for inexpensive ways to give your home or landscaping a makeover. The best ideas for your home are always your own ideas, because only you know what you need.